Monday, February 9, 2009

The Inaugural Post

The great thing about the internet is that it is slowly filling up with the detritus of our experience and knowledge. Eventually, everything that ever happened to anyone will be up for all to peruse. Eventually, everything ever produced, all visual imagery, will find a home online. And for the most part it will be ignored--but at least it's up there, just in case, you know, someone wants to know it. So, in the spirit of leaving no bit of human-produced flotsam unacknowledged, I bring you another blog of visual imagery, in this case PhotoEphemera.

I collect all sorts of photography related stuff. Mostly photography books--or I did anyway, BC--but also ephemera such as gallery announcements and the like. I'm sure if I dug down deep enough I could figure out why, but you know, at a certain point in one's life, you just have to live with it.

Little by little, I'll put some of this collected material up. It'll be a wide variety of odds and ends from the history of photography: things I find interesting or amusing or unusual. Not sure how often I'll be posting, but I'll try a couple times a week anyway. If you find it interesting, let me know. If you have any information about any of the objects, add it to the comments.

As Garry Winogrand used to write in his books before signing them, Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring it on...

Anonymous said...

Bring it on indeed. I'm sure you have more than enough material. It would be interesting to have people sending you more stuff though...

Alan said...

This will be immensely useful to all of us as I've felt for quite a while that this material is largely overlooked. Sometime when you have some time I'd like to discuss this with you. Best and good luck with the blog I'm looking forward to many a lost treasure, Alan
alan@luminous-lint.com

Anonymous said...

I have 2 Strand bags filled with this stuff...and then there are cards inserted in the photobooks as well. I love this ephemera and wish I'd been more systematic in the collection and collating (!) of it but alas...I certainly don't have the rarities that you have! Please show us more! Best of luck on this endeavor, Charlie.